European exit strategy must show strong support for sustainable urban mobility12/05/2020
Today the winner of the 1. Urban Road Safety Award was announced by the EU Commission: Congratulations to PONTEVEDRA (ESP)
We congratulate also the other 2 selected finalists JAWORZNO (Pol) & ORDU (Tur) for the great work on urban Road Safety
We also appreciate the work of all the other finalists and the congrats to the 2 winners of the European Mobility week award ( safe walking & cycling, smaller/larger municipalities) and to the winner of the Sump Award
Members of the Urban Road Safety Jury
Urban Road Safety Award
- For the first time, the Urban Road Safety Award celebrates outstanding and innovative achievements by local authorities in the area of road safety.
- • The EU Urban Road Safety Award is presented together with the Award for Sustainable Urban Mobility Planning and the EUROPEANMOBILITYWEEK Awards; although different criteria and deadlines, the three awards share the same portal: www.mobilityweek.eu
- great success for a first edition with 23 complete and good quality applications
Cities for People
The EU Urban Road Safety Award highlights the contribution made by local authorities towards improving the safety of European roads.
- Recognising the crucial role that towns and cities across Europe play in improving road safety, 38 % of road fatalities and more than 50 % of serious road injuries occur on urban roads
- the award rewards local authorities for adopting holistic measures to improve road safety, within the spirit of the internationally recognised 'Safe System' concept.
A lot of great candidates
EU Urban Road Safety Award Jury:
- did an individual evaluation of best applications and a selection of three finalists
- Open discussion and selection of the winner,• The highest scored application (Pontevedra) is the highest scored for each member of the jury individually;
- Jeannot Mersch appreciates Pontevedras accessibility measures and the gender-balanced approach as well as their Vision Zero Approach since 1999 & 30km/h speed limit